Check it out, this is one of my Mom’s special recipes that she veganized for me! It has been one of my favourites since I was a kid. NO eggs or dairy and it’s still nice and moist. I personally like adding semi-sweet chocolate chips to it as well.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (use a gluten-free flour if you want)
- 3/4 cups raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mashed banana, from about 4 large very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut or coconut oil
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Earth Balance to lightly butter bread pan
- Walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Lightly butter a rectangle pan (9″ x 5″) or similar and set it aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, sugars, salt and cinnamon together.
3. In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the plain almond milk and cider vinegar and let stand for 2 minutes.
4. Add the mashed banana, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup, whisking until it is well combined.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined but try not to overmix. Mix in the walnuts so they aren’t exposed and pour the batter into the prepared bread pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Allow the bread to cool on cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving. You can serve it warm or at room temperature.