Learn to make a delicious vegan Fettuccine Alfredo with the Vegan Zombie! All the ingredients and direction you need are listed below!
serves 4 to 5 / time 60 min
- 3 Tbs flour unbleached
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ lb baked tofu
- 1 ½ to 2 cups shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 ½ to 3 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 lb vegan fettuccine
- Bring pot of water to a boil for fettuccine.
- Heat 3 Tbs oil in large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, tofu and capers. Sauté for 5 min. Stir in garlic and continue to sauté for another 5 min.
- Heat 3 Tbs of oil on medium heat in separate saucepan. Add flour and stir together to make a roux, about 3 or 4 min. Stir in almond milk, salt, pepper, sage and thyme. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil while stirring frequently.
- Take frying pan with tofu mixture off heat and deglaze with apple cider vinegar. Put half of the mixture in a bowl and set aside and put the other half in the Alfredo sauce. Stir everything together.
- Turn Alfredo sauce down to a low heat and simmer for about 30 min so it thickens up. Add about 90 percent of the scallion to the sauce and stir in.
- Add fettuccine noodles to boiling pot of water. Boil until noodles are al dente. Remove from water and strain.
- Scoop portion of pasta to saucepan and add desired sauce. Mix around to cover pasta in sauce. Transfer to a plate and garnish with the sautéed tofu mushroom mix and some scallion.